Garden Cress seeds also known as Aliv in Marathi and Halim in Hindi. This is very authentic, traditional Maharashtrian recipe especially in winter and for lactating women. This recipe includes aliv, coconut, jaggery, coconut water and nutmeg.
Let me share some health benefits of aliv ladoo. Ladoos are good source of energy, protein, fats, iron and niacin. This is because aliv seeds provide good amount of protein and are rich in iron, calcium, phosphorus, niacin, trace amount of vitamin A, riboflavin and thiamine are also present. Thus we can say garden cress seeds are loaded with lots of nutrient .i.e., it is nutrient rich. They are galactogogues i.e. they promotes milk production in females, during lactation. Garden cress seeds are used as a remedy at home against anemia, kidney and liver disorders, tumors, tuberculosis and many more. Jaggery is calorie dense food ingredient and also contains some amount of phosphorus, calcium and iron. Coconuts are also rich in calorie and are also rich in fats. Coconut water provides very little calorie. Both Coconut and coconut water contains some essential minerals like potassium, calcium and magnesium.
Preparation time: 1 hr
Cooking time: 20 mins
Soaking Time: 2hrs
Total Time: 3 hrs 20 mins
Serve: 15 medium sized ladoo
- ½ Cup Garden Cress Seeds (Aliv)
- 2 Cup Fresh Coconut, Grated
- 1 Cup Coconut Water
- 2 Cup Jaggery
- ¼ Tsp Nutmeg, Grated
- Take coconut water in a bowl, to it add aliv seeds.
- Allow it to rest for 2 hrs.
- Now heat the pan on moderate flame and add coconut water and soaked aliv seeds and jaggery. Mix well.
- Cook the mixture till it adhere to each it and starts leaving the edge of pan.
- Turn off the flame and add nutmeg. Mix uniformly.
- Allow the mixture to cool down to a temperature little above room temperature.
- Now prepare ladoos out of this mixture.
SOME HANDY TIPS
- You can use simply water instead of coconut water. I have used coconut water because of its nutritional benefits.
- You can add almonds and cashew nuts for additional benefits.
- You can also use cardamom powder instead of nutmeg powder.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE PER LADOO
|111 Kcal||15.7 gm||1.9 gm||4.3 gm|