Paya soup or bone broth is extremely healthy and a nourishing soup. It is usually given as post illness recovery since it is rich in vitamins minerals and also immune boosting.
Here are the health benefits of this soup
This soup is made with mutton or lamb trotters with bones intact. Since we are using bones, we get very essential vitamins and minerals like iron, calcium magnesium, B complex vitamins and many others.
1. Collagen source
The most significant benefit of this soup is collagen which comes from lamb that is used in the recipe. Collagen is a protein which gives elasticity to the skin, reduces the wrinkles and also needed for new tissue synthesis. Hence it is given especially after surgeries or ligament injuries or accidental injuries.
Collagen is also good for skin and hair. So a regular bowl of Paya soup will ensure a firm and glowing skin and long & strong hair.
2. Gut friendly
This is a clear soup and so can also be given when you want to heal your intestines and can’t tolerate heavy foods. Because whenever there is a gut inflammation or recovery after a surgery or a condition like diarrhea, the villi of intestines are flattened. They have lost their structure and function to the minimum. Our gut cannot digest heavy foods and mostly it is recommended to have liquids like soups, juices. At this time, the hint of Indian spices and warmth of this soup is winner combination to recover the gut faster.
3. Immune building
Now not only this, this soup is immune building since it is rich in minerals & anti oxidants. Spices like cloves, cinnamon, and superfoods like ginger, garlic, lemon and coriander are excellent immune boosters. So you can also give it in colds or flues.
Here is the recipe for this soup-
- Lamb trotters 150-200 gms (5-6 pcs)
- Onion finely chopped- 1 cup
- Garlic crushed- 1 tablespoon
- Ginger cut into thin strips- ½ inch
- Bay leaves- 2 nos.
- Green cardamom- 2 nos.
- Cinnamon- 1 stick
- Mace- 1 stick
- Cloves- 2 nos.
- Chopped coriander stems and leaves- 2 tbsp
- Cold pressed coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Salt, black pepper powder to taste
- Water- 500-650 ml
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add whole spices first. Once they are fragrant, add chopped onion, garlic & ginger and sauté till onion is translucent. Then add lamb trotters and sauté on low heat.
- Add salt, pepper, water and mix well. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Strain the contents with a strainer.
- Pour the soup in a serving bowl, squeeze fresh lemon juice and serve piping hot.
- If you wish , add the mutton pieces back to the soup along with vegetables of your choice.
Here is the link to check full recipe