Winter is upon us. The cold weather is perfect for curling up into our blanket and sipping on some hot chocolate or soup. Winters do make us lethargic and we tend to reach out to all the comfort foods out there which are not always the best ideas for our health.
Here are some healthy Indian Food that keeps you warm during winter. With the continuous drop in temperature, our body’s energy levels also tend to go down resulting in slow metabolism. Hence we need to consume specific food items that will help our body conserve to conserve enough heat and energy. Here are some healthy and tasty Indian food options that will not only keep you warm during winters but also give you enough energy for you to go do your daily workout and stay in shape!
Food Items That Keep You Warm And Generate Energy:
All kinds of Nuts, Groundnuts, Sesames-Gul, Edible Gum, Bajra, Garlic and Spices and Hot Beverages.
Here are some ways you can incorporate these food items in your diet.
- To kick start your day you can have plain warm water or warm water with some turmeric and cinnamon.
- A lot of Dry fruits and Nuts contain good amount of heat as well as nutrients. Almonds make a great snack. To make your cereal interesting you can add in some pistachios,figs, and walnuts along with warm milk.
- Ghee is always a great option filled with good fats and energy.
- Sweets like Sesame Chikki, Dry Fruit Ladoo, Carrot Halwa provide a lot of warmth and energy to your body during winters so you can eat these in moderation. You can have them as fillers in between your meals.
Winter Special Immunity Building Food:
These are super winter foods that must be included in your winter meals:
- Carrots: Contains beta carotene, rich in vit -A. Carrots make a good base to any of your soups. Not only will carrots keep you away from infections, but it will also make your skin glow.
- Green tea : Rich in antioxidants and has strong antimicrobial anti viral properties. Drinking 3/4 cups of hot green tea keeps your immune system strong.
- Mushroom: Mushrooms are said to be immunity boosters.
- Garlic: It helps to detoxify your liver which will keep your stomach strong.
- Honey : It also contain antibacterial properties.
Pepper, Fenugreek, Ginger and Asafoetida these are spices packed with a lot of benefits which you can add in your meals. These common spices help you stay fit and also keep you away from catching cold and flu during winter. Research shows that hot liquids such as Vegetable Soup and Chicken Soup keep you away from cold and flu and improves your appetite.
Root Vegetables, Leafy Greens, Whole Grains:
In the winter period a lot of fresh vegetables like carrots, spring onions, peas.etc are available in the market. Remember to add all the available vegetables in your diet for all the nutrients tour body requires.
Bajra is a grain rich in protein, fibre, phosphorous, and iron. It also helps you keep warm and beat the chills. Replace your chapati with a wholesome Bajra Bhakri to keep you energetic and full for a longer time.
“EAT SMART STAY HEALTHY, AND HAVE A HAPPY WINTER”